How to mount an LVM volume? (was lvm2 problem)

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Tue Sep 23 04:35:21 UTC 2008

At 08:40 PM 9/22/2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>The LVM system uses UUIDs (which are almost guaranteed to be unique) to
>label each LVM PV, VG, and LV.  I believe you can use "vgscan" to
>display them, and then reference the UUID of the VG in question when you
>run "vgrename" to rename it to something *not* "VolGroup00".
<<<<<

Good evening, Paul.

Thanks but it doesn't work.

Evidently vgrename will not allow me to rename a mounted volume; it
says "Volume group "VolGroup00" still has active LVs".

If I then go and physically reconnect the second drive (the old FC5
drive), there is no lvm command that will allow me to see both drives
AND see their UIDs... the only command that will let me see the UID
is vgscan, and that one will only see the boot drive (the first
instance of VolGroup00), not the old FC5 drive (the second instance
of VolGroup00).