1-TB SATA drive as F9 root/boot drive

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Tue Sep 23 23:09:02 UTC 2008

I tried installing F9 on a 1-TB SATA drive after configuring it in
the system BIOS to be the boot drive.  I found it to be very
unreliable... sometimes it would boot and sometimes it would not.

I took that drive out and put in a 120-GB IDE drive and that works fine.

The SATA drive works fine as a storage drive on another computer
running Windows XP (didn't try it as a boot drive), just doesn't seem
to want to boot F9 reliably.  The WinXP computer and this F9 machine
have the same motherboard with on-board SATA controller.

Any of you had any difficulty in using large SATA drives as boot
drives under F9?