Why is Firefox such a beast??

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Sep 25 00:05:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:32:16 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:

> 	Aaarrgghhhh : I update firefox more days than not.

Why would you do that?  Firefox updates are relatively few (at least, not more
than once every couple of months or so).  There's no need or purpose served by
update Firefox daily or weekly -- what are you updating it that often?

If you subscribe to the "Fedora Package announce" mailing list you'll receive
an email notifying you of updates to Firefox, and everything else.

> 	*Why* are the rpms that way??

I have no idea.  Possibly to insure that all bases are covered -- if you have a
Chinese installation then you already have the Chinese language pack for
Firefox, and so on.

> Can an ordinary non-technoid get
> them out?

Just delete them after the (infrequent) Firefox updates.

> Or get rpms without them somewhere??

Mozilla distributes binary files directly, but I'm not sure if they are rpms or
not.  I suspect they're just regular tar files.  Whether they also come with
all of those language packs is another thing that I'm not sure of.

>  If the latter, what will
> happen when something involving Firefox turns up on a yum update??

That would depend on the naming, epoch and dependencies of the Firefox rpms that
you already have installed.