Workspace Switcher problem in Fedora 9

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:00:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 12:17 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just noticed that I can't increase the default number of
>> workspaces in fedora 9. The only way to increase them is by adding
>> rows, so where has the option to add workspace to the current row
>> gone, and how do I get it back?
>
> I'm not having this problem at all.  Try creating a separate, new user
> account, and see if that user has the problem.  If not, can your normal
> user write to the ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/ folder?
>
> Does this work?  (It should set the number of workspaces to 10, rows to
> 1.)
>
> gconftool-2 -s --type int /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 10
> gconftool-2 -s --type int /apps/panel/applets/workspace_switcher/prefs/num_rows 1

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried running your commands. They both
ran without giving any errors but it didn't change my panel though. I
haven't had a chance to log out yet but I can do. Just so you know its
a new installation which I did yesterday - no fancy extra's from
external sources - all fedora. I've also updated to the latest
updates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan