nvida drivers

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Fri Sep 26 11:36:24 UTC 2008

On Fri September 26 2008 5:17:45 am Tim wrote:
> I've considered trying that, but one (potential) thing puts me off the
> idea - bootup time.
>
> Does it increase the time it takes to boot?  Obviously creating a new
> module will take extra time, but for those other times, when you're
> booting/rebooting and haven't installed a new kernel, does it slow
> things down?

no - well, to put extreme precision on it, there's probably a delay measurable
(in fractions of a second - literally), but, it's certainly not noticeable -
it is comparing the installed module ver to the booting kernel ver - how long
could that take? - and by the way, creating a new module on the fly when it's
necessary, is under 15 seconds - (I've been using dkms on multiple machines
for over three years now, and as Robin reports, there's been only one instance
of a problem, and that was caused by an incompatible kernel change requiring a
driver fix)

I see that Livna has an automated script for this as well now, akmod I believe
it's called - can we hear some reports on how well it works?
--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA