Problem of install tarball packages

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 26 17:49:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 01:43 +0800, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Aldo Foot wrote:

> > > ----
> > > users don't need superuser privileges to use tar at all UNLESS they are
> > > trying to 'untar' into spaces where only superuser can write, in which
> > > case, security is out the window.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > You're correct. How did I mix rpm and tar? My coffee was not strong
> > enough this morning.. ;-)
> >
> > ~af
> >

> Hello,
>
> Sorry, My means is how to running the command line of "./configure",
> "make" and "make install" ?
> How to config sudo or / and linux system for it ?
----
users can (and should) run configure, make as users, not as super users.
'make install' only needs super user privileges if the intended install
is to go into /usr/local but users can have 'bin' or 'sbin' directories
in their own space to run compiled programs that are available only to
that specific user and not to all users.

Did I mention that you are going to have nightmares if you actually give
users super user privileges enough times yet?

Craig