Preventing rsync of copying always all files to my pen

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Sat Sep 27 13:27:19 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote on Saturday 27 September 2008:

Hi Paul!

> I have often to synchronize a directory from my computer to a pen
> drive. To accomplish this, I use the following command:
>
> rsync -urva --delete /home/psmith/mydirectory/
> /media/MYPEN/mydirectory/

Which messages do you see and what mount options are used for mounting the
FAT partition? I've tried your scenario and I get messages like this:

rsync: chgrp "/media/USBDRIVE/." failed: Operation not permitted (1)

Generally using -a on ext[23] -> FAT transfers is not a good idea,
because -a implies -rlptgoD (according to man-pages) but FAT does not
support user or group information, links or devices

I suppose a simplier "rsync -rtv" should accomplish what you need.

You might even want to try unison - it can synchronise two folders in both
directions, copying newest files from one directory to its counterpart.

--
bye,
Adalbert

network packets travelling uphill (use a carrier pigeon)