thefts and encrypted FS (Re: what dose this do)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 18:06:32 UTC 2008

> Short answer: It'll make it very hard for people with physical access to
> boot your computer and read personal files (possibly containing
> passwords or other sensitive information).

True, but that will also make it hard for the laptop to call home for
help if it gets stolen.  Just something to think about.

After fretting about this for a while, I decided it was more important
for the laptop to boot than for it to have everything encrypted.  I
want my laptop to boot and contact my server so that I can see which
IP address it has popped up at.  I'm sure the detectives at my local
police station would be interested too.  They don't often get to catch
thieves red-handed like that.  Most thefts around here go unsolved.

I was too disorganized when I installed F9 to break /home out into a
separate filesystem.  If I had done that I could have encrypted /home
yet left the root FS intact.  Come to think of it, I do have
everything under LVM, so I suppose I could still break out /home and
encrypt the user stuff.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.