F9: No audio on Compaq V5000

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 03:30:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> I recently got my wife to switch to Fedora as she was getting very
>> frustrated with Windows on her not so new laptop (Compaq V5000 AMD Turion
>> 1.6Ghz w/ Radeon M200 video).
>>
>> Everything works well except there is no audio. Direct from boot there is
>> no
>> /proc/asound or /dev/snd directories. lspci does not show any audio
>> devices
>> so I'm not sure what driver to use. Neither the alsa wiki or google were
>> much help.
>>
>> I tried modprobe snd-intel8x0 since it's really common and the module
>> loaded
>> and created some entries under /proc/asound but alsamixer still didn't see
>> sound card.
>>
>> She likes F9 overall but has to have working sound. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard
>>

> This system looks a lot like my R4000.  It's got the same video chipset
> (Radeon XPress 200M) so my bet is it has the ATIIXP audio chipset as well.
>
> I have my sound driver built into the kernel on this system (as I now run
> Gentoo on it), but I had F9 on it until a couple weeks ago without trouble.
>  You say lspci doesn't show anything?
>
> Can we see the output?

Well, as it turns out the audio chipset was just being funky. I shutdown the
laptop, took out the battery, waiting a few minutes, and then put it back
in, booted up, and viola! lspci showed it as ATI IXP audio. I'm assuming the
audio wasn't working when I installed F9 since no audio applet was installed
in Gnome so I added it and everything appears to be working properly.

Richard