fc10 and raid-10

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Sep 28 16:09:13 UTC 2008

Stuart Sears wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> The Fedora installer has insisted on requiring four drives for raid-10
>>> install, and then not using raid-10, but rather raid-1+0 which is
>>> *NOT* the same thing.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Nested_levels
>
> ah, but...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels
>
> See the Linux MD RAID 10 section.
> (or man md, if you'd prefer)

Ah, that RAID-10 ;-)

It's naming is a little confusing; RAID-10 (as used by the installer) is
what the installer uses to create RAID-1+0 (commonly referred to as
RAID-10, but indeed just "mirroring a stripeset" (1+0), but in one
single layer (10)), and hence requires 4 disks.

There's no RAID-10 in the installer as you refer to just like there is
no RAID LVM configuration, and whatnot. The installer is a helper
program to make the initial configuration for a new installation a
breeze, not to make sure it has every little checkbox for every possible
option.

If this isn't the appropriate configuration for you, then maybe
switching to the console on tty2 and creating the MD yourself or
providing a kickstart file with the correct %pre script solves the problem.

Don't get me wrong, it *could* be a very nice feature to add to the
installer, but then again we *must* prevent the installer from being
obfuscated for normal users.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip