Why is Firefox such a beast??

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 28 18:54:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:

>  NoScript, noreferrer, adblock, flashblock, redirect remover,

Some of these are redundant.  For example, Noscript can block flash, so you
don't need flashblock if you have noscript installed.  And so on.  I'm less
than shocked that you're having problems.  You are loading far too many
extensions (the mere fact that it can be done does not imply that it should be
done) and some of them are stepping on each other trying to do the same job.

If you want to set up a new Firefox correctly and reasonably securely (for
certain values of correct and secure, of course), read my article here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/squid-privoxy/index.html

You can tweak the privoxy configuration to determine how it handles many things
(including referrers) and you won't have to have 6 million (or three dozen)
Firefox extensions loaded.