kde or gnome

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 28 20:23:59 UTC 2008

Aldo Foot wrote:

> Gnome is better for a linux newbie. They don't know the difference between
> Desktop Managers (DM), but a Sys Admin does. If you install a new system
> and
> ask them: "...and what  DM will you like to use today?", the response will
> be a blank face followed by a prolonged "Huhhh....". For what I read
> lately Gnome has Fire-And-Forget capabilities. So I'd just give them
> Gnome.

This manages to be both patronizing and misleading.

A "system administrator" who actually asked a user (newbie of not)
"what DM do you want to use today"
would thereby prove himself utterly incompetent.

In any case, most Linux (and Fedora) users
are their own system administrators,
so the issue simply does not arise in this way.

I'm always amazed at the number of people
who feel they know exactly what "newbies" should do,
without as far as I can see ever taking any steps
to find out what these users actually want or need.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net