Finding a Font to Support a Unicode Block (X11)

Michael Rohan mrohan at stonepillar.com
Sun Sep 28 20:33:48 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

Just posted this to comp.fonts, but figured I should try here also.

Not sure if this is the correct group, but I have code that generated
Unicode strings displayed via Java on X Windows.  The strings include
characters from the Enclosed Alphanumerics Unicode block.  On one
Linux system (where I've installed every font package I could find),
the strings display as expected.  On another Linux (default) system,
they display as little squares, i.e., missing.

Is there a way to directly identify the font needed to support a
particular Unicode block?

Take care,
Michael.