Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

Armin Moradi feng.shaun at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 21:56:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> At 05:21 PM 9/28/2008, Dave Feustel wrote:
>

>> I'm running F9 and I would like to switch from gnome to kde,
>> but I have not figured out how that is done. Can someone
>> explain how?
>>
> <<<<<
>
> Good evening, Dave.
>
> First of all, you need to have KDE installed, if it is not already
> installed.  It isn't installed by default, in an initial F9 installation.
>  So, you need to log on as root, open up a terminal window, and say "yum
> groupinstall "KDE Softwarre Development"" ("yum groupinstall KDE" may also
> work but I didn't try that).
>
> Then, you have one of two ways: switchdesk, or selecting it in a little box
> on login.
>
> switchdesk is a command-line utility where you log on as yourself, open up
> a terminal window, and say "switchdesk KDE".  If you try that and KDE isn't
> installed, it will tell you that you need to use "yum groupinstall "KDE
> Software Development"" to install KDE.
>
> If switchdesk isn't installed, you have to log on as root and say "yum
> install switchdesk" first.
>
> The other way is, when you click on your userID in the login screen but
> before you type in the password, a small pulldown box will appear at the
> bottom center of the screen, containing all of the desktops you have
> installed.  Click on the arrow and select "KDE" from that box, and from then
> on, until you change it, all of your logins will be to KDE (again, as long
> as you have KDE installed).
>
> Note that you could use the graphical "Add/Remove Software" to do all the
> KDE installation (and installation of other things like switchdesk), but I
> have had that crash on me once too many times, in the middle of a software
> install session, leaving things in an indeterminate state.  So, I use
> "Add/Remove Software" to get a list of everything I need to add, then I use
> the command line "yum install..." or "yum groupinstall..." to do the actual
> installation.
>
> Hope this helps...
>

> --

very simple:

open a terminal and do:

$ su -c "yum groupinstall kde-desktop"
<your root password>

note: "KDE Software Development" installed -devel packages which you don't
need if you're not going to compile anything or develop on top of kde!

log out, choose "KDE" in login manager in in combo-box below, and then
login!

there you have KDE!

--
Armin