[Fwd: Config Network Setting]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:29:21 UTC 2008

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

>>> I just have the problem of "Destination Host Unreachable" from eth1
>>> ( ping to other same network segment internal machine ) as the
>>> following setting :
>>>
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
>>> DEVICE=eth0
>>> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>>> ONBOOT=no
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]#
>>>
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
>>> DEVICE=eth1
>>> BOOTPROTO=static
>>> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
>>> IPADDR=192.168.0.254
>>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>>> NETWORK=192.168.0.0
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]#
>>>
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]# cat ../network
>>> NETWORKING=yes
>>> HOSTNAME=svr1
>>> [root at svr1 network-scripts]#
>>>
>>> So, what is the problem of the current setting ?
>>>

>> ----
>> looks OK except that I would recommend that you use a FQDN
>> in /etc/sysconfig/network and not just a name... i.e. srv1.mynetwork.com
>>
>> obviously /dev/eth0 is not going to be loaded at boot time - but that
>> may be your intentions.
>> ----
>>

>>> BTW, what different between modify ifcfg-eth? and running the tools of
>>> "system-config-network" ?
>>>

>> ----
>> shouldn't be any difference as either should modify the
>> same /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file
>>
>> system-config-network does have the ability to also edit your 'hosts'
>> file (/etc/hosts), you dns resolution configuration (/etc/resolv.conf)
>> at one session.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Hello,
>
> How can we enable and verify the Network Interface working with full
> duplex mode ?

Run ethtool to display the current settings.  You can also include
ETHTOOL_OPTS in your ifcfg-ethX file to force a setting but if the other
end of the connection is set to autonegotiate both ends must negotiate -
and current equipment usually gets it right.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com