Evolution and Gmail

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:06:29 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 17:14 -0700, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
> > > be
> > >
> > > I don't have the problem using Evo with any other of my IMAP sources,
> > > so
> > > I'm guessing it's Gmail related.
> >
> > I tend to agree. I just wish I could figure out what to do about it
> > since it's pretty annoying. I have to restart Evo several times a day
> > because of this (I normally leave it running permanently).
>
> I suspect but have not yet proved to myself that 'your' server moves and
> the connection fails because the google box is different.  Given the size
> of the google farm and the numerous servers and gateways and network
> magic that 'your' server moves and the connection fails because the
> google box is different.  Some NAT tricks come to mind that make this possible
> but very hard to track from this side of the gateway.
>
> I often see gmail connections die even with 'mutt' and have started to
> sync my mail box prior to a reply.  Often after a well considered email
> (=lots of time editing) I find that my connection to the mailbox is gone.

You may find this interesting:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.mutt/browse_thread/thread/d24f6f01cc5a3817

Executive summary: for Mutt, reduce imap_keepalive to under 10 minutes.
For Evolution I don't know what the equivalent is, but I've set the
"check for new mail" timeout to 5 minutes to see what happens.

poc