Server optimization

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 17:24:43 UTC 2008

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> I have several servers (F8 and F9, 32 & 64 bits).
> I 'm looking for tips for improve theirs performances (httpd, samba,
> dns, ...)
>
> Is there a general howto on linux optimization (kernel 2.6)

No.  The kernel defaults to settings that generally perform reasonably well on
most workloads and hardware, without causing particularly bad performance on any
particular workload and hardware combination.  In order to optimize beyond the
defaults, you need some idea of what the server is doing.  Most optimization
guides are written for specific applications, and assume you have hardware
typical for those applications.  They're a good place to start, but if you're
using substantially different hardware (say, running Oracle on a laptop) not all
of the assumptions will apply.  Ultimately, you need to test each parameter to
be sure, but the application tuning guides will tell you which parameters matter.

-- Chris