LVMs really frustrating me... lv "Not available"

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:49:09 UTC 2008

Sorry if this is a new thread with the same title.   I'm sending from a
different mail client because my regular mail client is down and I can't do
a reply to the existing thread.

Anyhow... I'm trying to mount a logical volume to transfer data to my new
laptop.  I used to have a problem with duplicate volume names, but I fixed
that.   Now I have a problem with an LV not mounting.

/usr/sbin/lvdisplay
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 7 left open
  /dev/sdc: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                FX4cpZ-JnCv-pXmG-3BW9-cHB1-ZwZG-5cP2CV
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                57.38 GB
  Current LE             1836
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0

Note that the LV Satus is NOT available.  Thus:

#mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 temp
mount: special device /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 does not exist

How do I fix this ?

Thanks