Git vs. Subversion. Which one?

Armin Moradi feng.shaun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 01:53:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 06:33:20PM -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > >So I wanted to know about the public opinions on which one is better,
> Git or
> > >Subversion as versioning control system (VCS?).  If you can, please come
> up
> > >with some reasons too!  Like what benefits do you think your preferred
> one has
> > >that the other one doesn't offer!
> >
> > http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion
>
> I started with CVS and soon after moved to SVN, which was quite an
> improvement.  However, I recently learned git and would *never* go
> back.  For starters, it's *much* faster than any other system.  The
> use of branches is completely phenomenal.  And the ability to quickly
> set up and host a repository for anyone with just some file copies to
> any HTTP share is worth its weight in gold.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>
> --

Yes, actually recently I'm trying to learn git, and it makes a lot more
sense to do the experimental stuff in a branched repository and then merge
it in when it's done!!

Thanks for the responses guys, again, very appreciated!
I hope this thread would be of help to some other people too, although I
would still like more responses from more people ;)
--
Armin
feng.shaun at gmail.com
"Dare to Dream?"