Followup: Reverting from KDE4 to KDE3

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Tue Sep 30 02:34:37 UTC 2008

OK... I made a copy of my VMware F9 virtual machine, so I could screw
it up to my heart's content and still be able to restore what I had.

Then I went in and said "yum groupremove "KDE Software Development""
and let that run to completion.  It left kdebase in place and removed
everything else, so I said "yum remove kdebase" and that took care of
removing all of KDE (or at least I hope so...).

So, if I want to install KDE3, what do I do?

On http://www.kde.org/download/ under "KDE 3 Series", then under
Fedora, it says "KDE 3.5.10 has been pushed as an update for Fedora 8
and 9. The Fedora 8 update includes all of KDE 3.5.10, the Fedora 9
update only the applications which were shipped as KDE 3 versions,
not KDE 4 versions.".

So, does that mean I download all of the files under
"https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-7808" (most,
perhaps all, of which appear to be RPMs), install them all with rpm,
then download everything under
"https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-7780" and
install that over what I installed before?

Or, is there hidden away somewhere a complete archive of KDE 3.5.10
specifically for F9?

I know... "Just try it and see what happens"... I could do that but
I'd rather see if any of you all can offer some insight first.