Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 02:40:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> Good evening, Arthur.
>
> Well... uhhh... not sure how to answer that...  there are little graphic
> things on my desktop, that I deposited there by right clicking on a menu
> item and clicking where it says "Add to desktop".  Clicking those little
> graphics brings up things like firefox or a terminal window, or a KDevelop
> instance, etc., depending on what I put there.  They sure look like icons to
> me, or what I think of when someone mentions the word "icon".
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is arrange those little graphics in
> alphabetical (or some other kind of) order.  With F8 I could just right
> click anywhere on the desktop and click on Icons->Sort Icons and it would be
> done.
>
> Can't do that with F9, although someone else told me I could do that within
> a panel.
>
> (Not quite sure exactly what a panel is or how to use them, yet.)

That's the thing I'm trying to get across, and it findable via google.
KDE4 does not have desktop icons. Panels on the desktop can have
icons/launchers. You may want to get a single panel with a set of the
icons you need and sort them there. I haven't tried that myself as I
rarely use desktop icons.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )