Git vs. Subversion. Which one?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Tue Sep 30 04:45:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:30:39PM -0300, Armin Moradi wrote:

>    So I wanted to know about the public opinions on which one is better,
>    Git or Subversion as versioning control system (VCS?).  If you can, please
>    come up  with some reasons too!  Like what benefits do you think your preferred
>    one has  that the other one doesn't offer!
>    answers are very much appreciated :)
>    --

Read about Mecurial and RCS.

This is a BIG topic.... and you need to disclose the size of the
team and their preferences.

If it is just you.... use RCS.

If it is your company look at bitkeeper (not free) and understand
fully why kernel folks  switched.   If you have the budget give it
a hard look.  t

If you are joining a project hook up with what ever tree tools
are used up stream.   All of them let you generate diffs that
you can send into the maintainer.

If you are a public company look into CVS and a well managed well firewalled server
and more...

Mecurial should be on your short list.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l