Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 07:19:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Peter Roopnarine
<proopnarine at calacademy.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2008 21:56:09 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> Read this and tell me, maybe I misunderstood, in which I am wrong:
>> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/05/no-more-desktop-icons-in-41.html
>
> Interesting blog post. But you can indeed have icons on the desktop. As the
> man said, just click on the item from a menu and drag it to the desktop. I
> use both the traditional app. menu, and the Lancelot widget, and they both
> support this. Curious.

Yes. But what I understood from the post was that what you get on your
desktop is more of an 'icon widget' than an 'icon'. Traditional
desktops are essentially just a single folder which is rendered in a
special way. Which, as a side effect, means you can do all the things
you can normally do with a folder, such as sort.

KDE4's desktop seems to be more of a surface on which you can place
things than a folder.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )