"Safely remove" USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Apr 4 11:30:28 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> You can also hover over "Computer" in the Kicker menu (or whatever it's
> called now) and right-click on the "Removable Storage" icon. This works
> even without Dolphin.

This doesn't seem to work for me.
If I go to f=>Applications->System=>Removable Media Utility [KwikDisk]
(which seems the only application with the word "removable" in it)
hovering over the 3-sphere icon does not seem to have any effect.

Left clicking on the icon, and choosing "StartKdiskFree"
opens a window with various devices, including the USB stick, on it.
On clicking on the USB stick I am offered the option to "Unmount Device".

The only way to Safely Remove the stick as far as I can see
is to right-click on the name in the Dolphin window,
which can be opened either from the Device Notifier icon
or from the kicker menu (f=>Applications=>System=>File Manager).

Your other suggestion, "eject /dev/sdb1", does indeed turn off the USB stick.
Thank you.
(The only way I could see to find that it is on /dev/sdb1
was to say "mount".)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net