Resources to learn C

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 8 14:22:33 UTC 2009

Jorge Luis wrote:
> * Frank Cox:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:39:45 +0930
>>
>> I learned to type in school on huge Underwood manual typewriters.  (I was the
>> only boy in the high school typing class; I thought it would be a good skill to
>> learn.  Obviously, I was right.)
>>

> My ex-father in law had been in the Army during the Korean War.  He came home
> with one piece of advice.  "Kid, learn to type.  In the Army, a man who can
> type is too valuable to risk being killed."
>
> Cheers,
>
>     JL

I too learned to type in highschool (cause I was loosing 10-20 marks for
bad handwriting).  That worked great, the teachers were so glad not to
have to read my writing they let me write my exams in a separate room
with my little electric brother typewriter.  It made a bit of a racket :)
To learn C
-there are online courses and how-to books.   I liked the SAMS one.
Pick one and run with it.
-Get Eclipse C/C++ IDE.  It will hold your hand and help you avoid
stupid syntax errors till you get a feel for the language.
-work hard and don't give up!

Things that are spectacularly important:
-read and learn about the compiling and linking processes.  Know the
differences and what messages relate to which one.
-get a grip on pointers!  Pointers and indexes from pointers are the
root of most bugs.

have fun!
wcn