[Request] Language support packages not installed by default

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Apr 8 21:38:56 UTC 2009

Mike Wright wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Beartooth wrote:
>>> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 04:27:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
>>>     [....]
>>>
>>>     Good point! All the more reason not to include umpteen bazillion
>>> of them as defaults anywhere else.
>>
>> Would you communicate that to the Mozilla gang as well? :-)
>>
>> Having all those ruddy language packs reinstalled every time Firefox or
>> Thunderbird gets updated is OK on my desktops with drives >500GB, but
>> they suck up too much space on my Aspire One.  I delete them just to
>> have them reappear on every bloody update.  Grrrr!
>
> Hi Rick!

Hi, yourself, Mike!

> It may be worse than you think.  While I work I leave the
> Firefox->Tools->JavaScript_Console open.

Oh, you are a glutton for punishment!

> It seems that Firefox calls home daily or perhaps shortly after being
> launched.  The javascript console reports, one by one, that each and
> every language pack is being/has been updated.

I've found that if you uninstall the packs (deletions must be done as
root, BTW), they stay gone UNTIL FF/TB gets updated.  As to exactly when
the packs actually get downloaded and installed, I'm not sure.  When you
start the newly updated program, they reappear.

The startup time is a bit longer than normal after an update but not
long enough to download the packs at that time.  I think the packs are
actually downloaded during the update and are only being "activated"
during this extended startup.

What I'm trying to get at is: If I've deactivated and deleted the packs,
I obviously do NOT want them.  Why does the stupid thing INSIST on
stuffing them back in?

I don't think this is a Fedora issue, I think it's a Mozilla thing and
it's damned frustrating.  Perhaps I shouldn't have opened this can of
worms on this list.  Forgive me, fellow Fedorans.

-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -