Editor to program in C

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 21:37:26 UTC 2009

Alan Evans wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Jose Celestino wrote:
>> Words by Tim [Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 01:20:31AM +1030]:
>>> There's one thing worse than vi, and that's emacs.   ;-)
>>>
>> And vice-versa :)
>>

> That, sir, is the finest response I have ever seen.
>
> You've settled the entire vi/emacs war in two words. I bow low to your
> obviously superior debate skills.

:-)

I don't like either one of 'em, and so I don't (much) use either
of them.

The one thing that vi has over every other editor in the world
is that it's present on all UNIX (like) systems by default, so if you
can get around in it somewhat, you'll be able to use any random
system you walk up to. That used to be an argument for ed :-)

For that reason, I've made sure I can more or less get along with
vi, though I don't use it on my system. Since emacs doesn't have
that advantage, I don't ever use it.

Anyway, that's the one recommendation I can make. Make sure you
can use vi a little bit, even if you don't like it, because it
is always present (unless the sysadmins are anti - vi maniacs and
have deleted it).

For your own machine, find and install an editor you like,
configure it the way you want, and use that. If necessary
port it to other machines as necessary, like where you work.
Unless, of course, they insist that you use some editor they
already have, in which case, grit your teeth and learn to
use it.

BTW, don't delete either emacs or vi from your system, since
other pieces of it may depend on their existence. I've got
both installed (and vi's descendent vim) though I never run
any of 'em, for that reason.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.