serious virtualization without HW support?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Apr 1 12:50:11 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> and it occurs to me to ask whether anyone would want to get
> *seriously* into virtualization without having machines with those
> extensions.

No.

>   is it safe to say that, by now, most modern systems come with VT or
> AMD-V support?  and by "serious" virtualization, i don't mean someone
> downloading and goofing around with it, i mean people who want to set
> up virtual corporate servers or mission-critical stuff.

I run Windows as a guest OS on several machines. With the Intel vmx
flag, performance is extremely good and quite usable.

Without the vmx flag, it is useless. It is too slow to tolerate.

Most new machines now have the virtualization flags. It's always worth
checking before you buy, though.

- Mike