Another basic networking question.

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Thu Apr 2 01:37:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:56:16AM +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> Sender: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
>
> 	G'day everyone,
> 		I've been working through a networking cookbook that obviously assumes
> some basic knowledge on networking ... that I don't have. So to humbly
> ask of the gurus here:
>
> 	When a firewall computer has 2 nics, they should be on separate
> subnets? Yes?

One question per post please.

The only requirement is that they have a unique MAC address.
With Ether-switches and trunking it is possible to improve
bandwidth in some cases.   These are the cases where if you
have to ask why or how you should not.

The most common case for the use of two nics is to access
two nets.  It is not necessary to route between networks.
One strategy is to dedicate a net for storage traffic and
another network for some other communication traffic.

The second common case is to act as a network gateway, firewall, NAT
or bridge etc...  i.e. a router.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?