Finding Correct Nvidia Driver

Mauriat mirandam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:23:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 15:08 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>>>
>>>    On Wednesday 01 April 2009 15:11:07 Jim wrote:
>>>        > FC10-X86_64/KDE
>>>        >
>>>        > Where do I find info on for "nvidia" driver for  Geforce 7300LE
>>> G72 Card ?
>>>                install the kmod-nvidia package  or download the linux
>>> driver from the nvidia         site.
>>> Probably worth pointing out that kmod-nvidia (or better yet,
>>> akmod-nvidia, which automatically rebuilds the driver for new kernels)
>>> is from the rpmfusion.org nonfree repo.
>>>

>> Yes, but which driver is it 96xx or 173xx ??
>
> If you had gone to the nVidia WWW site and looked at the documentation for
> Linux Driver downloads, you would have found that your GeForce 7300 LE is
> listed as supported by 3 of the 4 nvidia driver:  180, 173, and 96, but not
> the oldest driver 71.

Try this link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

> Just look at Appendix A of each driver's README file for the information.
>  All supported GPUs are listed by both name, and some hexadecimal PCI ID
> number, which I am unable to correlate to any information printed out by
> "lspci" for my GeForce 6200....

Try:

# /sbin/lspci -nn | grep VGA

Example:
[mirandam at charon ~]$ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34
[GeForce FX 5200] [10de:0322] (rev a1)

My 0322 corresponds to the 173.xx driver.

-Mauriat