Another basic networking question.

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Apr 2 09:36:40 UTC 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 10:25:24 Ed Greshko wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 April 2009 03:09:29 Ed Greshko wrote:
> >> Well....  I still feel that sometimes this list is over used for topics
> >> that can better be discussed elsewhere.
> >
> > The trouble with that argument is "Where is elsewhere?"  This isn't an
> > idle question.  I often give off-list help to very newbie users, and I'd
> > love to be able to tell them that there is a list somewhere where they
> > won't get a rude answer for asking sensible and civil questions.
>
> One of the things that I do when faced with a question on a subject that
> doesn't seem to really fit the lists I'm currently subscribed to is to
> go over to http://marc.info/ and see if there may be list of interest.
> I look in the various archives and determine if it may be a better fit.
> Then I subscribe and ask my question(s).
>
> I have even stooped so low as to ask for off-line help when I felt the
> level of discussion shouldn't be exposed/suffered by others...
>
> Yet, keep in mind, that's just me....

Yes, sometimes you can find a dedicated list to help with a problem - but that
isn't what I'm looking for.  What I want to find is a list that I can send a
total newbie to, where he can ask the most basic questions about Linux and
expect to get answers that he can understand.  Mandriva Newbie used to be that
list.  It isn't any more.

Anne