dnsmasq configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 2 15:40:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 17:37 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> netstat -antuevp
>
> Now this shows that dnsmasq is using 192.168.122.1:53 with tcp and
> udp.
> This is the link local address on a port for dns.  Also udp on
> 0.0.0.0:67 which is one of the dhcp ports but for all networks?

0.0.0.0 means different things in different circumstances.  In this
case, yes, it means it's listening to port 67 on any and all interfaces
that computer has alive.

> Does dnsmasq need to use 192.168.122.1?

No idea, though I'd be surprised if it did.  What do you want it to use?

For what it's worth, I don't use dnsmasq, I use the BIND DNS server, and
the ISC DHCP server (Fedora has packages for both), and integrate them
together.  I know the processes for DNS and DHCP serving, but not the
specifics to making dnsmasq do them.

> The first aim is to get dhcp going.  Would 0.0.0.0:67 help or get in
> the way?

In what way do you mean "0.0.0.0:67"?

If you're setting up your modem/router to be just a modem, and let the
PC do the rest, then you want configure your DHCP server to only service
your LAN.  You don't want it trying to assign addresses out to the ISP.
You should probably find how to configure it to only bind to the LAN
interface.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686