Another basic networking question.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Apr 2 16:08:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:19:34 +1100,
  Simon Slater <pyevet at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I need to.  When I use the computer to connect to the ISP via the same
> eth0 and the ISP assigns me (at the moment) 210.84.25.73.  Does this
> mean that I cannot configure the router because the ip's are now on
> different subnets?  Then again, if used just as a modem, no real
> configuration is needed?

It is possible to run multiple logical subnets over the same physical
network. On the linux side the ip command allows you to define several
networks on one interface. The old way of doing this was with the alias
feature, but I don't know if the standard network or network manager
configuration set ups easily support this. I usually just stick the
ip commands in rc.local. That's not a great way to do things, but will
do for now in my circumstances.