Konqueror uses Adobe Reader rather than Okular...

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Apr 2 20:11:08 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 02 April 2009 19:23:49 Craig White wrote:
>> > If I open a file Okular is used.  If I open an embedded pdf, that is,
>> > from a web link, I believe it is Evince that opens it - it's certainly
>> > not okular. I've checked SystemSettings, and on the embedded tab it
>> > tells me that they will be opened by okularpoppler.  Something seems
>> > very wrong.
>>
>> ----
>> that would likely be Firefox calling Evince and can be configured in
>> Firefox Preferences or about:config, I forget which.
>
> That sounds likely - I hadn't thought of FF overriding KDE settings.  All
> that remains is to find the setting, which so far I haven't managed to do.

We could and should fix that by manually specifying mime prefs
in /usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/applications/mimeapps.list

and possibly provide a defaults.list for legacy apps not supporting
mimeapps.list (akin to fedora's/gnome's
default /usr/share/applications/defaults.list).

It's nice that kde "just works' and gets things right, but shoe-horning
other toolkits is (and will be) more work.

-- Rex