Interactive startup on F10. Pressing "I" doesn't work

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 20:38:41 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> I find that holding the keys down can be counter-productive. I suspect
> that the code discards the buffer contents before looking for a key
> press and that's why 'rapid taps' as Anne puts it seems to be the only
> method that works.

I would have thought that the key-repeat wouldn't differ functionally
from rapidly tapping the key.

Anyway, it turns out that I can, in fact, interrupt the boot, both by
rapid tapping and by holding down the key. I tried both several times
and I think there is little difference -- either successfully
interrupt the boot sequence what seems like less than half the time.

Perhaps interesting: holding the key down seems to make the boot
process loop back to the "Press 'I' for interactive startup" again.
I'm not kidding, and I've done it several times. I press <I> as soon
as I see the instruction to do so and hold the key down while booting
proceeds through "Starting udev" and eventually to "Enabling swaps"
and "Entering interactive startup." Then the next line says "Welcome
to Omega"[1] followed by "Press 'i' for interactive startup." Then
"Starting udev" again on the next line and so on.

[1] - I don't think Omega is any different than Fedora proper WRT system bootup.