Another basic networking question.

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 23:44:03 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:19:34 +1100,
>  Simon Slater <pyevet at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> I need to.  When I use the computer to connect to the ISP via the same
>> eth0 and the ISP assigns me (at the moment) 210.84.25.73.  Does this
>> mean that I cannot configure the router because the ip's are now on
>> different subnets?  Then again, if used just as a modem, no real
>> configuration is needed?
>
> It is possible to run multiple logical subnets over the same physical
> network. On the linux side the ip command allows you to define several
> networks on one interface. The old way of doing this was with the alias
> feature, but I don't know if the standard network or network manager
> configuration set ups easily support this. I usually just stick the
> ip commands in rc.local. That's not a great way to do things, but will
> do for now in my circumstances.

VLANs... the word you are looking for is 802.1Q
To define multiple VLANs on the same network port, create files of the format:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.XXXX where XXXX is the VLAN.

It's all explained here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-configure-linux-virtual-local-area-network-vlan.html

Running ip commands in rc.local is like soo.... 1990s.... (I don't
know if the syntax above is respected by NetworkManager but
/etc/init.d/network honours it...

--
Sam