"Safely remove" USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Apr 3 19:52:20 UTC 2009

Terry Polzin wrote:

> On Friday 03 April 2009 07:22, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I asked some time ago why there is no Safely Remove option
>> in Dolphin on my Fedora-10/KDE system,
>> which I can click on before removing a USB stick.
>>
>> I was told that there was such an option,
>> but I don't seem able to find it.
>> I certainly don't have a "Safely Remove" icon in my panel,
>> as in the unmentionable system.

> Does your device have a desktop icon?  Right-click that icon and there
should
> be a "safely remove" option on that menu

I don't see any icon on my desktop.
There is an icon in my panel;
it is a small blue screen with the USB symbol on it,
and what looks like a white stand behind it.
When I hover over it, it says
"Last plugged in device: ATV"
(That is apparently the name of my USB stick.)

If I left-click on the icon a small window appears
with ATV beside a small USB icon.
When I hover over the icon it says
"2 actions for this device".

When I (left or right) click on these words,
a larger window appears, which says
"A new device has appeared. What do you want to do?",
the options being: "Open with Dolphin",
"Download Photos with digiKam", and "Do nothing".

If I click on the first option Dolphin shows me the contents of my stick.

Now I see that ATV is listed among the devices on the left;
and if I right-click on ATV I am indeed given the option,
"Safely remove 'ATV'".

When I click on this the contents of my stick disappear.

However, the light on my stick remains on.
IIRC, under Windows when I click on "Safely Remove"
and choose the USB stick to remove,
the light on the stick goes off,
which I find reassuring.

--