"Safely remove" USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Apr 3 19:59:20 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> I asked some time ago why there is no Safely Remove option
>> in Dolphin on my Fedora-10/KDE system,
>> which I can click on before removing a USB stick.
>>
>> I was told that there was such an option,
>> but I don't seem able to find it.
>> I certainly don't have a "Safely Remove" icon in my panel,
>> as in the unmentionable system.
>>
> Tim, you get the icon if you hover over the device name in dolphin.  That
way,
> if you have more than one usb device mounted it is quite clear which one
you
> are going to unmount.
>
> Hover over it and on the right you'll see an up-arrow icon for unmounting.
If
> it is not currently mounted, but it's still plugged in you'll see the
device-
> name but the icon will not appear.

Thanks very much.

I don't actually see the option if I hover over the name of the USB stick
in the Dolphin window; but I do if I right-click on the name.

It's a little disappointing that the light does not go out on my USB stick,
as it does in Windows when I click on Safely Remove.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net