Yum issues..

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 3 22:41:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 15:26 -0700, dcooke at efn.org wrote:
> Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:58:05 +0200
> From: Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Yum issues
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:16:19 -0700 (PDT), dcooke at efn.org wrote:
>
> Michael,
> >
> > [root at boatbuyer grub]# yum install yum-updatesd
> > Setting up Install Process
> > Setting up repositories
> > dries
> >  [1/7]
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-10.1.noarch.rpm/repodata/repomd.xml:
> > [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 01:21:34 GMT
>
> You've messed up your repository definitions somehow.
> Verify the definition of the "dries" repository. It looks as if
> you replaced the baseurl= with the URL of the fedora-release package,
> which is not correct at all.
>

>  Sorry, didn't know any better.
>
> Keeping an eye on the output, Yum kept pointing to the dries.repo,
> and becoming desparate I Stuck a URL in there hoping..and waiting
> for the errors.
>
> fc5 is broken here along with a bunch
> of services and links. Still trying to update to 10, and then
> reading how important staying updated is.
>

> There must be a .conf file somewhere to change and make it point
> correctly?
>
> Is there even a dries respository anymore?  The seven now showing
> in repos.d look ancient.
>

> [root at boatbuyer images]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
> [fedora]
> name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
> failovermethod=priority
> baseurl=ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-*noarch.rpm
> #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
> #mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
>
> [fedora-debuginfo]
> name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
> failovermethod=priority
> #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
>
> [fedora-source]
> name=Fedora $releasever - Source
> failovermethod=priority
> #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
> enabled=0
> [...]
----
if you are attempting to use yum to go from FC-5 to F10, I would suggest
that you forget that. Then the fact that you have packages from 3rd
parties just simply piles on to the skills required to accomplish the
task, especially considering that the interim fedora repositories have
disappeared.

Best to back up /home and install F10 new/clean from live-CD or DVD

Craig

believed to be clean.