dnsmasq configuration

Simon Slater pyevet at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 4 00:24:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 02:10 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 17:37 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> > netstat -antuevp
> >
> > Now this shows that dnsmasq is using 192.168.122.1:53 with tcp and
> > udp.
> > This is the link local address on a port for dns.  Also udp on
> > 0.0.0.0:67 which is one of the dhcp ports but for all networks?
>
> 0.0.0.0 means different things in different circumstances.  In this
> case, yes, it means it's listening to port 67 on any and all interfaces
> that computer has alive.
>
> > Does dnsmasq need to use 192.168.122.1?
>
> No idea, though I'd be surprised if it did.  What do you want it to use?
>
> For what it's worth, I don't use dnsmasq, I use the BIND DNS server, and
> the ISC DHCP server (Fedora has packages for both), and integrate them
> together.  I know the processes for DNS and DHCP serving, but not the
> specifics to making dnsmasq do them.
>
> > The first aim is to get dhcp going.  Would 0.0.0.0:67 help or get in
> > the way?
>
> In what way do you mean "0.0.0.0:67"?
>
> If you're setting up your modem/router to be just a modem, and let the
> PC do the rest, then you want configure your DHCP server to only service
> your LAN.  You don't want it trying to assign addresses out to the ISP.
> You should probably find how to configure it to only bind to the LAN
> interface.

	Thanks Tim,
		I went back to a fresh dnsmasq.conf (must have missed something
amongst all the comments in the example file) with the bare basics, now
with the correct references to interfaces and addresses, and dhcp worked
straight away.  Clients are connecting fine, printing is working,  all
good.  I'll check out how well the dns and caching is working over the
weekend.

	The initial thought was to use bind and ISC dhcp, but after reviewing
old posts to this list, many advocated dnsmasq for small setups like
this.  Although their website says it can scale up to service a thousand
or so boxes. So simplicity for now.

--
Hooroo,
Simon