Fedora Screen Resolution Won't Go Above 720x400

Daniel Blakemore DanBlakemore at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:27:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> Daniel Blakemore wrote:
>
>> I am new to fedora and to linux in general.  I know a little bit of bash
>> because I have a mac but not enough. I just installed fedora core 10 i386
>> netinstall (the dvd-rom drive on this computer is thoroughly dead: stops
>> reading and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in every thirty of so
>> seconds), on an AMD with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 5200 FX.
>> When I try to change the resolution, the drop-down only goes to 720x400.
>> I tried installing the nvidia driver and it broke X beyond what my linux
>> friend can fix.  I did a fresh install and now I have the same problem.
>> Please help.
>>

> What is your monitor?  Is it Play and Pray compliant?  Does it tell X11 the
> correct information?
>
> I have no problems getting higher resolutions on my F10 system (with a
> Radeon 7000 driver), and a Dell Dimension 4300 using a Live CD.
>
> Which "nvidia" drive did you try and install?  Was it an RPM from RPMFusion
> or ATRpms?  Or did you try the nvidia installer?
>
>  Thanks a bunch,

I used the .run driver from nvidia's website for 32-bit linux:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1.run
I ran system-config-display, or whatever it is called, to make an xorg.conf,
and it knows the correct monitor model number and driver, it knows the
graphics card model.  When i go to System>Preferences>Hardware>Screen
Resolution, the screen is labeled unknown and I can't see beyond the
resolution drop-down because the window goes below the screen.
It was plug an play for my vista machine and this mac.  It is a AOC 2230Fa
LCD.

--
Daniel Blakemore