Editor to program in C

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:33:38 UTC 2009

2009/4/4 Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com>:
> Dear All,
>
> I am starting to learn how to program in C, and I am looking for a
> proper editor for that. Do you recommend Kate to me? Or is there
> something better?

There's a number of options, all present in the fedora repositories. I
suggest you try a few and see which you like. Here's some suggestions:

1) Programmers text editors such as emacs and vim. These are
exceptionally powerful, but have a bit of a learning curve.

2) IDEs. There are several in fedora including anjuta, geany,
kdevelop, eclipse. For eclipse you'll also want to install the
eclipse-cdt package for c/c++ editing.

That said, even the simple gedit, which is installed by default has
good syntax highlighting for c/c++.

Try a few, see what you're comfortable with.