upstart bug (tty1 and Xorg) and bugzilla?

Carl D. Roth roth at ursus.net
Sat Apr 4 18:18:50 UTC 2009

I wanted to post this to the Redhat/Fedora BZ, but there doesn't appear to
be an upstart entry for Fedora...

My system is misbehaving right now because Xorg and upstart are fighting
over tty1.  My CPU load for Xorg is at 100%, and I see a stream of kernel
log messages of the form

Apr  4 11:11:12 huggy /sbin/mingetty[3342]: tty1: invalid character 0x93
in login name
Apr  4 11:11:17 huggy init: tty1 main process (3342) terminated with
status 1
Apr  4 11:11:17 huggy init: tty1 main process ended, respawning

My tty configuration in /etc/event.d/ (via upstart-0.3.9-22.fc10.x86_64)
looks like

# tty1 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty1 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc2
start on stopped rc3
start on stopped rc4

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /sbin/mingetty tty1

Is this correct?  Shouldn't it be the case that the tty1 mingetty is
squelched by either runlevel 5 or prefdm?  In any case, my 'runlevel'
command indicates that I am at runlevel 5, and the tty1 mingetty is still
respawning...

In a related topic, my TTY switching doesn't work (CTRL-ALT-Fn)...

- C