postgresql help - administrator user pw?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 4 19:37:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 11:34 -0700, ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone familair to postgresql
>
> Can I know how to set the pw for the administrator user?
> I do try to check the google and posgrssql website but don't understand it
>
> by default, the postgresql doesn't need pw but
>
> Now I am trying to install software which needs to provide postgresql database info
>
> After I fill the postgresql administrator user as postgres, the next step is pw of the administrator user.  I give it "Enter" as this user is empty pw but it  won't let me passing next step!
>
> The installation step is command line eg:
>
> first db user:
> then db pw:
> then db name:
> then db administrator db
> then db administraotr pw
>
> Thank you for your help
----
on local machine, user is postgres and postgres user doesn't by default
have a password.

# psql -U postgres
Welcome to psql 8.1.11, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

postgres=# \q

any other machine would require configuration
of /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf to allow for authentication
and /var/lib/pgsql/data/postresql.conf to allow for tcp connections.
User postgres is not really suitable for an application or allowed to
login from anything other than localhost.

typically, you would want to login as user postgresql and create users
for various things like the application and set privileges. You probably
can't do this without referring to postgresql
documentation...http://www.postgresql.org

this might be useful...
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-createuser.html

I tend to use pgadmin3 or phppgadmin or webmin for things like adding
users and setting users passwords & privileges because I'm lazy and I
forget the actual commands. A user must have a database in order to
login.

Craig

believed to be clean.