"Safely remove" USB stick

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:34:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 00:17 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > In fact it unmounts but doesn't disappear. IMHO this is seriously
> > confusing to the average user. I posted about this (and a couple of
> > other things) sometime yesterday but I haven't seen any feedback so far.
>
> It doesn't disappear because you can re-mount it. This is a feature. I hate
> operating systems which force me to unplug and replug the device if I want
> to mount it again for some reason.

That's an interesting argument, which (at least here) fails for the
following reasons:

1) As far as I can see, you can't remount the drive from the empty
window. You have to click on the notifier and select the mount option.
This then opens a *second* window. The first window adds no funcionality
whatever.

2) There's almost no visual distinction between an empty pendrive and an
unmounted one, though these two states are radically different. Note
that I don't claim there is no distinction at all, but it's not obvious
to the new user of Dolphin.

3) The presence of the window invites the user to drag and drop files
onto it, which simply produces an error message.

poc