thoughts on "how to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps"

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 5 09:16:43 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 18:49 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following article has created quite some discussion, so I wanted to hear what all the real experts (here) thought about it.
>
>  http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229
>
> The article raises quite a few good points. Whether they have merit, and whether remedies are in-built is what I am wondering.

This is just about the lamest article on any form of programming that I
have ever read.
His code is not self replicating (but it might be able to load something
that is), it requires misdirection and operator action, and is a Trojan.
In addition, he wrote it apparently to a standing challenge that
requires writing a file to /etc, which he did not do, nor did he show
even "high level pseudo code" for that operation.

I won't add further flames here, but come on, this is just flame bait,
and I bit... but don't expect further discussion from me.

Regards,
Les H