Wake-on-LAN

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:26:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Sharpe, Sam J <
sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com <sam.sharpe%2Blists.redhat at gmail.com>>wrote:

> 2009/4/5 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>:
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > Firstly, I have "Wake on LAN" enabled in the BIOS.
> >
> > Secondly, rather to my surprise the ethernet light goes off
> > when I "Hibernate" (I should confess at this point
> > that I am running Centos-5.3 on this machine,
> > but thought that I was more likely to get a helpful response
> > on the Fedora list!)
> > but stays on when I shutdown.
> >
> > In neither case does ping or (attempted) ssh have any effect.
> > How exactly is one meant to "wake from LAN".
>
> One uses Magic Packets.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
>
> To do this, first install a wol client on another machine to broadcast
> the wakeup:
> # yum -y install wol
>
> Then read about the options:
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/wol
>
> Then one wakes the target machine...

All my Intel mobos with onboard network can be waked up (no need to install
anything, but net-tools):

sudo /sbin/ether-wake ip-addr (wakes computer with ip-addr)

Then, in /etc/ethers, I have the mac addresses associated to IP addresses:

# see man ethers for syntax
# andromeda
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ip-addr

Never tried with suspend or hibernate. Only when the computer power is off.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ