kernel vs kernel-PAE? why yum install kernel does not install kernel-PAE automatically?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 5 20:28:47 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz

That's a 64-bit CPU, you should be running 64-bit Fedora rather than 32-bit
Fedora on it.

> I also want to know if I get nvidia driver, how does it fare with PAE
> kernels?

As far as I know no better or no worse than with non-PAE kernels, you just
need to make sure you use the -PAE variant of the kmod.

> [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
> [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
> [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
> [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
> [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
>
> .., I have asked for a bit of help and they recommend that I get nvidia
> driver, I have not used nvidia drivers since Fedora Core 4, but I got good
> performance back then might help now?

You may want to try the "nouveau" driver, it has some 2D acceleration
support. "nouveau" will replace "nv" as the default for NVidia hardware in
Fedora 11.

        Kevin Kofler