System time 1 hr ahead of real time

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:17:10 UTC 2009

Hi Mikkel and Chris,

2009/4/6 Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>:
> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 04:19 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> The system time on my F10 is showing a time one hr ahead of the real
>> time, neither does it let me change. What could be wrong?
>>
>> $ date
>> Mon Apr  6 05:17:16 PDT 2009
>>
>> --
>> Suvayu
>
> Perhaps your system is set to keep time in UTC, and another system
> (Linux distro, live disc, Windows) is set to to run the hardware clock
> in local time, and bumped the time by 1 hour when you booted after the
> daylight savings time switch?

I have my hardware clock set to the local time. Yesterday I booted to
my XP partition first time after the DST change. Looks like that had
something to do with this.

> >From the Gnome desktop, you can right-click on the clock in the panel
> bar and select 'Adjust Date and Time';

I tried changing it from there, but it wouldn't let me change it even
after entering the root password. It could be that I was doing a typo
there, as after your reply I changed it from the command line just
fine with a sudo before date.

> You can also set the time from the command line with the 'date' command
> (see 'man date'), or get the time from a time server (once) with the
> command 'rdate -s time.nist.gov' (US server, not responding from here
> atm) or 'rdate -s time.nrc.ca' (Canadian server). Once the system
> (software) clock is updated, you can then write the time to the hardware
> clock with 'hwclock --systohc'.
>
> Strong recommendation: turn on NTP (network time protocol) if your
> network environment is appropriate (i.e., usually connected to the
> internet and can initiate outbound connections to servers) -- your
> system will then periodically contact time servers and try to keep your
> local clock on-track. 'chkconfig ntpd on' should do the trick.

I have turned ntpd on, thanks for the suggestion.

I have a strong hunch booting to XP after the DST change caused this
mismatch. What is the recommended way of maintaining the system time
for dual boot machines?

> -Chris

Thanks  a bunch. :)
--