System time 1 hr ahead of real time

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 18:09:35 UTC 2009

2009/4/6 Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mikkel and Chris,

>>> Perhaps your system is set to keep time in UTC, and another system
>>> (Linux distro, live disc, Windows) is set to to run the hardware clock
>>> in local time, and bumped the time by 1 hour when you booted after the
>>> daylight savings time switch?
>>>
>> I have my hardware clock set to the local time. Yesterday I booted to
>> my XP partition first time after the DST change. Looks like that had
>> something to do with this.

>>> bar and select 'Adjust Date and Time';
>>>
>> I tried changing it from there, but it wouldn't let me change it even
>> after entering the root password. It could be that I was doing a typo
>> there, as after your reply I changed it from the command line just
>> fine with a sudo before date.
>>
>>> You can also set the time from the command line with the 'date' command
>>> (see 'man date'), or get the time from a time server (once) with the
>>> command 'rdate -s time.nist.gov' (US server, not responding from here
>>> atm) or 'rdate -s time.nrc.ca' (Canadian server). Once the system
>>> (software) clock is updated, you can then write the time to the hardware
>>> clock with 'hwclock --systohc'.
>>>
>>> Strong recommendation: turn on NTP (network time protocol) if your
>>> network environment is appropriate (i.e., usually connected to the
>>> internet and can initiate outbound connections to servers) -- your
>>> system will then periodically contact time servers and try to keep your
>>> local clock on-track. 'chkconfig ntpd on' should do the trick.
>>>
>> I have turned ntpd on, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I have a strong hunch booting to XP after the DST change caused this
>> mismatch. What is the recommended way of maintaining the system time
>> for dual boot machines?
>>

> When you use a dual/multi-boot system you need to disable one or more
> of your systems from automatically updating for daylight savings. This
> goes whether you are booting multiple versions of Windows or a mixture
> of Windows and Linux.

I am in Vancouver, so DST started for me about a month back, but I
haven't used XP until last evening after the change. Probably that is
when the hardware clock got altered.

Also my XP install is not connected  to the Internet. But I don't know
whether the time is set to correct for DST automatically. I'll check
when I get home tonight.

> The other issue is that you need to patch your Windows software.
> Daylight savings began last month.

Thank you :)

--
Suvayu